XXIV Standing Conference of Eastern, Central and Southern African Libraries Association (SCECSAL 2020)
Inclusive Libraries and Information Services: Toward Achieving Prosperity for Sustainable Development in Africa
8 – 11 February 2021
IFLA will be represented by Secretary General Gerald Leitner
The 24th Standing Conference of Eastern, Central and Southern African Libraries Association (SCECSAL XXIV) will be held on 8-11 February 2021 at the Hotel Safari and Conference Centre in Windhoek, Namibia.
SCECSAL is a regional forum for library and information associations in Africa. Membership to SCECSAL is open to national library and information associations from the following countries: Angola, Botswana, Burundi, Congo Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ethiopia, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Madagascar, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, Seychelles, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe. SCECSAL Standing Conferences are held biennially and are hosted by SCECSAL member Associations.
More than 60 papers will be presented at SCECSAL XXIV on the following subthemes:
- Access to information: issues and challenges (e.g Marrakesh Treaty; Cape Town Declaration)
- African libraries as drivers of the national development agenda.
- Digital Scholarship and Open Access
- Good Governance: Accountability, transparency and ethics by information professionals and records managers
- Inclusive libraries and library services: good practices and success stories
- Information for empowerment: achieving human rights, gender equality and empowering women and children with information through libraries and information centres.
- Information literacy and the Knowledge Economy
- Indigenous Knowledge & Preservation of Cultural Heritage
- Innovative digital technology-based library and information services in Africa
- Specialised information services in support of development
- (e.g. in agriculture, climate change, health, environment,
- industrialisation agenda, etc.).
SCECSAL XXIV is hosted by the National Information Workers Association of Namibia (NIWAN), which was originally to be held on 20-24 April 2020 and was postponed due the COVID-19 pandemic.
Last update: 3 February 2021