30 December 2010
International Workshop on Online National Bibliographies in French-speaking West-Africa
A 5 day workshop on the Development and Implementation of Online
National Bibliographies in French-Speaking West African Countries was
held in Bamako, Mali, 22-26 November 2010. Participants from Benin,
Burkino Faso, Ivory Coast, Guinea, Mali, Mauritania, Senegal and Togo
took part in the workshop.
The successful workshop was supported by IFLA's National Libraries
Section and Bibliography Section, IFLA ALP, UNESCO, the Organisation
internationale de la Francophonie, and the Mali Ministry of Culture. It
was organised by the Bibliothèque nationale du Mali. Genevieve
Clavel-Merrin of the Swiss National Library, Françoise Bourdon of the Bibliothèque nationale de France (and the IFLA Bibliography section), and Janifer Gatenby from
OCLC made presentations together with colleagues from France, Senegal,
1. Provided state of the art of legislation and rules on legal deposit in the participating countries
2. Defined a collection strategy for references to documents not
covered by legal deposit or for which legal deposit has not been carried
3. Studied the IFLA recommendations, taking into account African specificities, especially in the field of multilingualism
6. Formulated recommendations for the creation and online production of national bibliographies
7. Formulated recommendations for cooperation and model for use in other African countries
Papers presented at the workshop will be published and disseminated widely in French-Speaking West Africa.
A report on the workshop is available in the December 2010 National Libraries section newsletter [PDF] and on the website of the Bibliothèque nationale du Mali (in French).